M.A. in Music
If you are a choral or instrumental conducting professional, our intensive MA in music program will provide you with advanced, in-depth training to further develop your skills and prepare you for doctoral programs in conducting.
Lynchburg College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). The MA in Music program is offered for 6 weeks in the summer and can be completed in 4 summers or 3 summers and one academic year.
Our 36-hour program includes:
- Emphasis on choral/instrumental conducting skills and stylistic awareness
- Practical training in conducting
- Instrumental and choral/vocal pedagogy
- Performance practices, score preparation, rehearsal techniques, applied music
- Graduate recital and comprehensive exam
The MA in Music prepares you for:
- Teaching positions in high schools and colleges
- Conducting high schools and or community choirs and orchestras
- Doctoral study in conducting
“As a full time music educator I wanted to find a learning environment that would allow me to continue to teach, and also provide practical instruction that would push me to be a better musician. The six week intensive summers have a great balance of philosophical and applied music instruction that not only help me in my current teaching situation, but also for possible future studies and career opportunities.”
Jason Whitson, choir director at Volunteer High School in Church Hill, Tennessee